Some people do not enjoy exercising, are you one of them?
It is a solid ritual: my friends have to play long rounds of football every Tuesday and Saturday afternoon. They enjoy every aspect of the sport. Some people do not seem to feel motivated to try any type of exercise no matter what. For this i have provided some guidelines you can follow that will surely have you striving for a workout.
Ask yourself the following questions:
1. Do you have a motivated partner? We all know how we get after a whole day of work. Do you want to get rid of the extra weight? Do you desperately need to tone up? How do we feel motivated? The secret is to find commonality with other people. People, if they are driven, usually motivate each other to workout. Does your friend want to exercise? Well, this is your chance to call your friend and start your workout now. When committing to another person, you will feel obligated to start, and once you start the rest is easy.
2. Do you have the right shoes? Walking shoes are different than running shoes. Football shoes are different than cycling shoes. Basketball shoes are different than all previous shoes.
"The biggest mistake people make when they start running, jogging, or doing any exercise program, is just reaching into the closet and pulling out an old pair of sneakers,” says Tracie Rodgers, PhD, an exercise psychologist.
To choose the cross-trainer best for you, please look for:
- A firm heel
- Ideal support (you shouldn’t be able to bend the shoe too easily)
- Lightweight (you don’t want to add a lot of kilograms to your feet)
- Do you have an arch?
Another feature to consider is: How old are your shoes? If you work out once in a while, you should replace your shoes every year, otherwise you should replace your shoes every six months.
3. Do you have the right outfit? If no, update your wardrobe: Most people get dramatically motivated once they shop for the perfect workout outfits. Most brands are focusing on style, comfort, breathability etc. Find a great outfit and find yourself enthusiastic enough to use your gym membership.
4. Do you enjoy dancing? Dancing is a wholesome activity that can be a sensational cardiovascular workout for people who enjoy dancing. If you want to dance, finding a dance school near you is easy, especially in Beirut, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Many local dance instructors adopt new genres. Did you hear about Zumba dancing? It is the new fitness craze that fuses both Latin and International music providing and effective vigorous cardio workout.
5. Do you like music? Listen to your favorite music. Do you get bored after you have been walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes?
Organize your music.
a) Design a playlist: If you have several sports activities, divide your music accordingly.
b) Name and time your playlist: name your playlists and time sequence according to each activity example: “Jogging Playlist” 30 minutes “Cooling off Playlist,” for 2 minutes “Sprint Playlist ” 10 minutes etc.
6. Are you a morning or evening person? According to research on lung function, body rhythms, temperature, and hormone levels, the optimal energy to exercise is during 6 p.m. If you are a morning person, then workout in the morning but body temperature will be at its lowest; therefore, you may be prone to injuries.
7. Do you enjoy competitive activities? Try outdoor games such as football, Basketball, or even indoors squash.
8. Do you keep a diary of your workout? Research has shown that people are motivated by keeping an offline or online journal of their workout goals. Applications are available on websites, iPhone/iPad, Blackberry, even Google Chrome. Try: Fit Day application or MyNetDiary.
9. Do you pair your activities? Do you need to finish your book? Try biking as you finish your reading at the gym.
When was the last time your family came from out of town? Organize a team activity such as hiking, a double round of tennis or rugby.